This week they mapped out my body for radiation. This included several CT scans, some without contrast, and the last one WITH contrast (an injection that lights up certain areas, I’m assuming this would be the cancer spots) to help with planning and placement for radiation. This also included 7 tiny tattoo marks that look like black freckles to make sure radiation is placed in the right areas. The final prep pieces were some hardware: a backrest shaped to my back that will hold a wedge between my arm and ribs, in the arm pit area; and a mesh face mask to hold my face in place while they radiate a lymph node on my neck.
Radiation will start on the Thursday after Labor Day and go for 33 days, Monday through Friday. It will be about 40 minutes in the office every day. I’ll use the green tea spray that prevented burning last time, along with taking Tumeric and vitamin B-50– all from my Indiana radiation oncologist's bag of tricks. The folks at Huntsman had never heard about green tea spray (which is sad, knowing that people are burned there every day). I’ll finish radiation the week of Halloween!
Today I saw Dr. Buys. She was very pleased with how well my body has withstood the chemo. She plans to keep the immunotherapy going during radiation and likely for a year or two after. She hopes that the radiation will “mop up any remaining cancer” and that the immunotherapy can then prevent any of it from recurring elsewhere. They’ll do a pet scan a few weeks after radiation, and then continue doing scans every 6 months for at least 2 years. Today was my first day of receiving only the immunotherapy infusion. It took an hour and didn’t require any premeds or add ons (no steroids, anti nausea, etc…).
That’s the latest on the medical side of things.
Courtney and her kids came in town for two weeks. She came with me for chemo.
My sister, Amy, was in town, and planned a girls night for stocking help. She brought dinner, Sarah and Sammie. It was a lot of fun.
My brother, David, visited with his family.
I was able to fly to Connecticut (wearing a mask to stay safe on the planes) last week and meet Heath and Elizabeth’s baby Summer. Newborn snuggles are the best! It is so fun seeing your kids as parents.
I had the energy to go on family walks. I was able to cook some of Heath’s favorite meals from his childhood. Their black berry bush was producing like crazy, so we made 12 jars of jam. Elizabeth made the best mixed berry cobbler I’ve ever eaten! It was a great week spending time with them. I also got to see Sharon, my friend from junior high and high school. She lives in a nearby town. She stopped by for a visit and spoiled Summer with fun welcome gifts.
It has been a great summer. I'm so thankful to be finished with chemo. I'm so happy that my hair can now start to grow back. I'm really tired of wearing wigs. They are itchy and hot. I wear my hats with hair most of the time. I'm encouraged that the doctor is talking about long term things, and about the possibility of irradicating this cancer. I'm praying for this cancer to go away, and for lots more time. I appreciate everyone's continued prayers. The prayers have blessed me with energy to do all of the things that are important to me. I'm thankful for my Savior, who is my Prince of Peace. We feel of His peace, and know that He is aware of our desires.











No comments:
Post a Comment