Updates on Kathy's battle with breast cancer.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Joy


This week has been great!  I love the predictability of my chemo cycle.  I now know what to expect and how to plan ahead for it.  For me, after the first 3 days, the following week is the best as far as energy goes.  I’ve been able to run my regular route most days, which really helps with fatigue.  It's been especially nice having Bush running partners in town for the month!  It's been nice getting on top of household tasks as well.  I also know that this coming weekend is when I’m the most fatigued, so can plan to take it easy through the weekend.  I’m thrilled to be almost ¾ finished with the toughest portion of this mountain climb! 

In the hair department, I’ve learned that if I haven’t lost it by now, I’m not going to lose it!  So, I’m thankful to report that I still have eye lashes, eye brows, and actually still have some stubbly hair on my head.  I could have had a comb over!!!     

Next week is our stake girls’ camp.  I’m so thankful that I’ll be able to attend!  I love spending time with these amazing young women who teach me so much by their examples.  

Last night, we had the McCarlies family over for Family Night.  It was such a treat enjoying their girls, ages 2 and 3.  Our lesson was a re-play of one of our family favorites from when our kids were young—the story of Jesus calming the storm.  I should have made a video or taken a photo, because the visual of their faces in my mind is priceless.  We used laundry baskets side by side as boats, navy blue tablecloths and napkins underneath to make the water, waves, and water splashes, and paper plates to make wind.  The kids sat in the baskets as the story was told, with everyone else holding corners of the tablecloths and/or plates to make an ocean that gradually goes from calm to turbulent to calm.  The girls faces were glowing with joy throughout the entire storm.

This is one of my favorite stories in the Bible.  There’s such a lesson for all of us.  Storms are necessary and provide us with what is needed for growth.  The Savior is there to calm our storms and/or calm our hearts and protect us as storms rage on.  I think of these sweet little girls sitting in their boats with joy on their faces as they were surrounded by storms.  We can do the same in our own boats, knowing that our loving Savior is aware of us and watchful over us.  I enjoyed this talk that discusses this idea further:  Faith Through Tribulation Brings Peace and Joy  by Robert D Hales, a modern day apostle.        

1 comment:

  1. Sister Tenney you are truely an amazing woman! I am so grateful to know you, watching you climb this mountain and seeing you have such strong faith through it all has taught me to always be positive! You are truely an angel on earth! I love you so much and am so grateful to see your beautiful spirit through this trial!
    Love,
    Cassidy Yost

    ReplyDelete